Children who are disabled with intellectual, emotional, and physical disabilities such as Autism, Intellectual Disability, Cerebral Palsy, Prader Willi syndrome, and all other disabilities are frequently injured in group homes, schools, and other settings. We specialize in helping these children obtain services and recover personal injury damage awards for their injuries and ensure that they have the services that they need throughout their lives.
- Justice for Kids Attorney Establishes Precedent For Civil Statutory Damages Claim for Developmentally Disabled Persons Which Leads the Way for Protecting Disabled Children. Child abuse attorney Howard Talenfeld argued this ground-breaking decision, in which the Third District Court of Appeal’s decision was the first to establish a private cause of action for damages based upon the violation of Florida’s Bill of Rights for the developmentally disabled under § 393.13, Florida Statutes. As a result, this led to a confidential settlement of this wrongful death damages claim. Read more about the case here: Baumstein v. Sunrise Communities, 738 So. 2d 420 (Fla. 3d DCA 1999).
- Law Firm for Eight Abused Former Foster Care Children Settles With NYC, Child Care Agencies for $26 Million. Attorneys representing eight developmentally disabled foster children who were placed in what one judge called a “house of horrors” foster home settled with New York state adoption and child welfare agencies and their state-contracted providers in 2014 for $26 million. Read more here
- Child-on-Child Sexual Abuse in Foster Care and Residential Treatment Center. This lawsuit was filed in Brevard County, FL on behalf of a developmentally disabled former foster child who was the victim of child-on-child sexual abuse in foster care and a residential treatment center, and subsequently became sexually reactive. The case resolved against private community-based lead agencies and DCF for an undisclosed amount.
- $1.9 Million Settlement for Abused, Disabled Child. An abused, disabled child from Miami-Dade County, FL received a $1.9 million settlement as a result of a civil rights violation after asserting claims against DCF and a civil rights claim against DCF employees for failing to remove him from an abusive group home. He received this settlement, which was placed in a trust just before his adoptive parent passed away.
- Settlement for the Family of an Autistic Child Who Was Over-Prescribed Psychotropic Medications and Died. The Autistic child’s family received an undisclosed settlement amount from a Miami-Dade, FL group home and psychiatrist who over-prescribed psychotropic medications resulting in the death of the child.
- Developmentally and Physically Disabled Foster Child Subjected to Abuse and Neglect in Foster Care in Florida Before Being Placed With Relatives in New York. Over a sixteen-year period, DCF and its private contracted community-based providers in Miami-Dade County, FL failed to have the child appropriately assessed, failed to provide an increased foster care board rate despite the child’s significant needs, failed to ensure the child received services from the Agency for Persons with Disabilities, and put financial incentives of management ahead of helping foster children. The case was filed in federal court in the Southern District of Florida against DCF, private child welfare agencies in Miami-Dade County, and individual employees. The case resolved for undisclosed amounts. Woodburn v. Department of Children and Family Services, et al., 854 F. Supp. 2d 1184 (S.D. Fla. 2011); Woodburn v. Department of Children and Family Services, et al., 859 F. Supp. 2d 1305 (S.D. Fla. 2012)
Helping Children with Legal Needs:
Fl Child Guardianship Lawyer
Fl Child Drug Injury Lawyer
Negligent Child Abuse Investigations Lawyer
Fl Child Product Liability Attorney
Fl Child Drug Treatment Attorney
FL Child Sexual Abuse Attorney
FL Child Therapist Negligence Attorney